Lakshadweep Island is amongst the seven union territories of India and was declared Union Territory in the year 1956. Islands in Lakshadweep are situated on the south coast of India and can be reached from Kochi Airport of Kerala. The island is located on the Arabian Sea off the coast.
In previous time Lakshadweep was known as Laccadive, Minicoy, and Aminidivi Islands is a cluster of 3 islands in the Laccadive Sea, 200-440 kilometers off the southwestern coast of India.
The inhabited islands of Lakshadweep are Kavaratti, Agatti, Amini, Kadmat, Kiltan, Kalpeni, and Minicoy which just have the jaw-dropping beauty sightseeing.
Still, there are a lot many facts that are wrapped under the blanket, some of them are:
1. Origin of the word “Lakshadweep”
Lakshadweep means “group of lakh islands” (Laksha means lakh, whereas dweep means island) and it comes from “Lakshadweepa”. The island is spread over 32 square kilometers of land and therefore, this is India’s smallest Union Territory.
2. Reversal of marriage rule
Rituals here are opposite. Instead of the wife, the husband goes to his wife’s place. So Great, isn’t it? Husband takes the surname of his better half continuing the sole income earner in a house. Women are empowered in this way. And just the reverse happens, inter-caste marriages are not legal and allowed.
3. Buying land not so easy at Lakshadweep
To buy or own plots, land or houses on Lakshadweep islands, people are not allowed to do that. To do this, they should have been born in Lakshadweep in the first place. Apart from this, even the husband or wife does not have the right to take over the land if they have not been born on those islands. Rules have been prepared and are in action keeping in mind to prevent the commercialization of islands by any private investor.
4. Invasion during the post Independence period
Muslims make up the majority of the population which makes a ratio of 90% population and Islam is the main religion. In the same direction, it could have easily attacked by Pakistan at the time of separation. However, Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel prevented the hinder by taking precautionary measures and sent the Navy’s troops to lift the Indian flag. A few hours later, the Pakistani Navy was seen through sea routes, which moved back to Karachi after seeing the flag.
5. Availability of Liquor
At the Bangaram Island, liquor is possible to find. Besides, it is prohibited on all other islands.
6. Foreigners require permission to visit Lakshadweep Islands
Indians are always welcomed to visit the islands but it is not so the same for foreigners. foreigners are allowed only for specific islands, including Bangaram, Kadmat, and Agarti. Apart from this, in order to visit the remaining islands in those circumstances, they need to seek permission through the Lakshadweep Tourism Office located at Cochin.
7. Picking Corals
You can’t pick coral otherwise you will be punished for this act.
Nudity is banned over this island.
9. Pluck coconuts
Trees are owned privately and if you plucking coconuts unofficially then it is equal to theft.
10. Historical facts of Island:
- The medieval history proves that there was the rule of the Chola Empire in the Lakshadweep islands.
- In the mid-16th century, these islands became colonies of the Portuguese. Tipu Sultan had the control of these islands in the late 18th century.
- These islands came under the power of British people as Tipu Sultan was defeated and killed in the final and deciding third Anglo-Mysore war.
- In 1964, the administrative headquarter of the island was shifted from Calicut (Kerala) to Kavaratti.
11. Some Geographical Facts:
- The international tourist spots are Cheriyam, Suheli, Valiyakara, and Tinakara.
- The only minerals that are found in this territory are Silica and Corals.
- The main boosters of the economy in Lakshadweep are Fishing, boat building, and tourism. It is popular for the production and export of Tuna fish.
- Tharathas and Karifetu are the two Oceanic birds generally found here. These birds are generally native to one of the islands known as Pitti. This island has been declared a bird sanctuary.
- Agatti Island is the only airport of this territory. The main seaports include Kavaratti, Minicoy, Agatti, Kadamatt, and Kalpeni.
- Indian Naval Base (INS Dweeprakshak) was established for safety reasons and was also assuring smooth trade and export from these islands.
- 39 total islands are there in the groups of Lakshadweep Island.
- 10 islands out of 39 only are inhabited and the rest of them have no population.
- The largest populated island is Androth spread over an area of 4.8 Sq Km. and closed to Kerala coast.
- The Kerala High Court at Ernakulam works as the Judiciary of this union territory.
- According to an Economic point of view, Coconut is the only important crop.